'I’m all healed up and ready to go'


  • Pistol's recovery has been a slow process.
  • He is getting on his first bull, since his wreck, this weekend.

In This Article

Recovery has been a real slow process. The first two months I couldn't do anything but stay in bed. After that, I started getting out of bed and into the wheel chair. I was in the wheelchair for about another two months before I started rehabbing and basically being able to get my legs to straighten out all the way. After the wheelchair, I was on crutches trying to regain my leg strength and doing light workouts and then I slowly built on that.

Dr. Tandy Freeman told me that I was medically cleared about three weeks ago. I was going to see him once month and then it got to where I was going to see him once every six weeks. I knew it was coming up. You expect the best and the worst when you go in there. He told me the bones were healed and I was good to go. He told me to just keep working out and get on whenever I felt like I was ready.

I am getting on my first bull this weekend since my wreck at Madison Square Garden. I feel prepared. I've been working out every day and lift three or four times a week. As far as being physically prepared, I'm ready. I've been ready since I got hurt in New York. There are some jitters there, being the first one after a year, but I'm okay. Injuries can happen, but I'm all healed up and ready to go.

A buddy of mine, Cody Brown, has some awesome practice bulls to get on. He lives right down the road from me, so I am going to get on as many as I can the first day. My hope is to get on a bull every day. I know exactly what I am going to do when I get on for the first time - I am going to ride him until the guy that owns him is yelling at me to get off of him. And he will be like, "Quit riding him, and get off. Go away!"

You will not see me competing in New York in January. I want to get everything right before I go to the big time and get on those bulls. I was in New York last week, though, talking to some of the media. I wasn't too nervous until I got out there. I have been away from the whole PBR and bull riding side of things for a while now. I have been thinking about it though, waking up at 5:30 in the morning to go to the gym to get ready to ride again. You don't notice it until its back right in front of your face. And you are like, "Oh yeah, this is what it feels like." I was pretty excited to get back into the swing of things.

Follow Pistol on Twitter @PistolRobinson

© 2017 PBR Inc. All rights reserved.