Don Gay is an American eight-time Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA) world champion bullrider. Born in 1953 to Neal Gay and Evelyn “Cookie” Foster, he was only a year old when his mother died of leukemia. Neal then married Kay Gay, who raised Don and his brother Pete as her own. Don grew up in Mesquite, Texas, and started rodeo at age 6. His father, Neal Gay, was a well-known rodeo competitor and rodeo producer. Don was inducted into the ProRodeo Hall of Fame in 1979; his father was inducted in 1993, becoming the only father and son to receive that honor. Don retired from professional rodeo in 1989.
Gay does television commentating for pro rodeo and pro bull riding events throughout the country . He has also commentated for Professional Bull Riders (PBR) big-league events on TNN from 1994-2001, as well as the Championship Bull Riding (CBR) big-league events on Great American Country from 2009-10. However, he continues to be involved in CBR, providing live announcing at some events, including the CBR finals. In 1997 he received the PBR’s Ring of Honor.
In 2007 Gay was inducted into the Texas Rodeo Cowboy Hall of Fame along with his brothers Pete and Jim.
- Earned membership in Professional Rodeo Cowboys Assoc. (PRCA) in 1970 while a sophomore at Mesquite High School
- Graduated Mesquite High School in 1972 and qualified for his first National Finals Rodeo (NFR) in Oklahoma City, OK in bull riding
- Qualified 13 years at NFR in bull riding (11 consecutive)
- Won record 8 PRCA world bull riding titles: 1974-77, 1979-81, 1984
- Broke PRCA’s bull riding single season earnings record eight consecutive years, 1974–81
- First rodeo cowboy to receive Special Achievement Award by All Sports Association (ASA) - 1975, 1981, 1984
- Scored career high 97 points on RSC’s famous bull ‘Oscar’ at Cow Palace in San Francisco, CA in 1977; the bull was retired at 1978 NFR after Don rode him in the final time
- Retired from bull riding in 1989
- Owner / Stock Contractor of All Star Rodeo, 1989–1996
- PRCA Board of Directors (Stock Contractor), 1995–1996
- An original inductee in Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame, Colorado Springs, CO in 1979; joined by his dad Neal in 1993; The only father-son team in rodeo shrine
- TV color analyst: ESPN, TNN, OTDCH, RFD
- Wrangler Endorsee
- Boyd Gaming Rodeo Ambassador
- National Finals Tonight Show, Las Vegas, NV – Host since 2007